Moving to SubVersion

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Sun Oct 10 10:46:47 BST 2004

On Sunday 10 October 2004 10:49, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Sunday 10 October 2004 09:33, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Am Sonntag 10 Oktober 2004 08:44 schrieb Simon Hausmann:
> > > svn diff -r<oldrevision>:<newrevision> --old
> > > /svn/path/to/file/before/rename --new
> > > /svn/path/to/file/as/it/is/called/now
> >
> > Hmm. You need to remind svn from what it moved? Where is the
> > advantage then?
>
> I now tried it. With subversion-1.1 you actually don't seem to need the
> old path. A "svn diff -r:<oldrevision>:<newrevision> /new/name" works
> as expected even if the oldrevision is before a move.

Ah, cool. When I needed it I only tried the safe way :)

> I still haven't figured out how to revert a move, though. There doesn't
> seem to be an equivalent of "cvs up -j" taking into account file moves.

How do you mean? svn up -r<revision before move> gets the state before the
move, with the old file names, no?

I don't think there's an operation for reverting two operations, a change in
the file and a previous move, in one shot. But doing it in two should still
be fine. Just like you would do it with cvs, except that you don't loose
history if you do the copy/move back to the old filename.

Simon