Moving to SubVersion

Tobias Koenig tokoe at kde.org
Sat Oct 9 08:45:25 BST 2004

On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 10:11:09AM +1000, Brad Hards wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 09:40 am, Richard Smith wrote:
Hi Brad,

> > All I'm saying is that we should try out more than one option before
> > switching. If we find problems in SVN, they're likely to not be significant
> > enough to make us change again, so we'll have to put up with them.
> > Therefore it's better to find and avoid them now.
> I have three issues:
> 1. What specific problems with our current version control system are we
> trying to solve?
When we start library cleanup after the release of KDE 3.4, we'll have
to move and rename a lot of files and that's a PITA with CVS.
Furthermore SVN supports nice features like a hidden repository on your
hd, so you don't have to connect to the server everytime just to see
which files have been changed, that's a huge advantage when you're
travelling (e.g. by train) without an internet connection.

> 2. Who is going to do the evaluation work to tell which of the options best
> solves those problems?
IMHO the biggest advantage of SVN is that the command syntax is nearly
the same like in CVS and the developers of CVS have enough expiriences
with version control systems from their former projects.

> 3. Who is going to do the migration task, including providing support and
> documentation for everyone involved in KDE development?
The actual migration can only be done by the sysadmins, support can be
provided via the IRC channels and we've to change the cvs related sites
on developer.kde.org (3 or 4 AFAICS).

I mean, which support/documentation for CVS do we offer today?

Ciao,
Tobias
--
Separate politics from religion and economy!