Moving to SubVersion

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Fri Oct 8 20:40:30 BST 2004

On Friday 08 October 2004 19:19, Charles Samuels wrote:
> On Friday 2004 October 08 07:31 pm, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I know we had this topic some times ago, but we came to no conclusion.
> > So I want to ask again, when do we move the KDE repository to
> > subversion?
>
> when?
>
> I have the opinion that subversion may not be the best solution.  Now,
> obviously, cvs isn't the best solution either, but I think the cost of
> switching to subversion from cvs may not be worth the return, at least
> immediately.
>
> I don't want to start a flamewar, and I don't want this message to be an
> argument as to why cvs or subversion may suck, however, I want to mention
> that switching to subversion is not the only option in either the immediate
> or distant future.

Yes, there lies sense in that; I read somewhere(I can obviously not find the
link now) a discussion of various version control systems and the conclusion
was nothing particular, but it clearly showed subversion isn't the obvious
choice. But one shouldn't go blind on technical features; aspects like user
base and market share makes a big difference too, especially in the long
run(for example, who care about the "perfect" system when no one uses it).

KDE switching version control system would be one of the biggest of its kind,
and have a large impact, so it's important it's done properly. The ones who
is interested in the switch, should do a thorough investigation, collect
references, our demands, disassemble every option to the bone -- from license
to barf capabilities -- and write a paper. There's IMO many interesting
things, such as decentralization, which needs some thought and serious
consideration as we now got the chance. Couldn't someone who study
informatics or similar write such a paper at study time(and sneak in some
random theories to make it valid)? :)

Cheers,

	Frans