New string compare panel applet

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Fri Oct 8 14:09:08 BST 2004

On October 8, 2004 09:21 am, David Faure wrote:
> The idea of using "find" in kate solves all those problems,
> and is more convenient than pasting and editing long strings in a small
> dialog.

Er (?!?!)

Kate method:
	Open Kate
	Wait 0.5-2 seconds for it to start depending on machine
	Focus source window of first string
	Copy first string
	Focus Kate window
	Paste String
	Focus source window of first string
	Copy second string
	Focus Kate window
	Paste string
	Edit->Find
	Check case insensitive
	Hit F3 to see if equal

String applet method:
	Focus source window of first string
	Copy first string
	Paste into kicker
	Focus source window of second string
	Copy second string
	Paste into kicker
	View if equal or not

.. soo, the applet saves you *at least* 6 mouse clicks / key combos, plus the
time for starting up Kate / KWrite.

If you were someone who compared MD5 sums a lot, I can see how this would save
a ton of time. It is definitely fringe use (maybe someone who is a
packager?), but it is definitely not useless, and Kate is definitely not more
convenient .

--
There are two major products that came out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We do not believe this to be a coincidence.  ~Jeremy S. Anderson