Timeouts in message boxes

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Thu Oct 7 20:23:58 BST 2004

On Thursday 07 October 2004 13:04, Olaf Jan Schmidt wrote:
> [Adriaan de Groot, Donnerstag, 7. Oktober 2004 00:45]
> > I need a KMessageBox with a timeout
>
> What do you need it for?

Thank you for completely ignoring the technical issue at hand, which is the
exec() in the KMessageBox methods. However, your question is a valid one,
which I shall address.

The situation is that during a Palm Pilot HotSync, we may need to query the
user about certain actions (eg. delete the entire database). However, while
the connection exists we are also draining the handheld's batteries, so this
is not a query we can just leave up forever -- something needs to be done,
and within a resonable timespan. (The handheld times out and the sync fails
after 30 seconds _anyway_, so we need a response from the user before then,
or otherwise we can just take down the query again, knowing that the sync has
failed).

> Is there no other solution rather than a timeout?

Given the context - Palm Pilots, with their fiddly buttons, low-contrast
screens, etc.  - I have my doubts that  a 30 second timeout is going to be an
insurmountable usability problem when the entire ergonomics of the device
isn't.

--
Don't worry, 't ain't no shame to be stupid - ol' mouse.
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot