KDElibs: KSystemTray: On window close dialog

Sébastien Laoût [temporar] les83plus at free.fr
Mon Oct 4 21:28:34 BST 2004

Hello,

Tried yesterday to discover if kicker is running and currently shown on
screen.
I found the following new issues:

* Standard application have DCOP bool app/app-mainwindow#1/shown() call
  that return if the main window is currently shown or not.
  Kicker has nothing like this and we can't know if it is shown.
  Perhapse with KWin. Not tried because of the following issues.
* User can disable system tray plugin of kicker.
  But there is no DCOP call to know if a particular plugin is activated.
* Users can use another system tray manager than kicker.
  Think to SuperKaramba. Don't know if there are other programs.
  Oh yes : SlicKer. Another?
  We should be able to know if A systray manager is running and shown.
  And then take a screenshot of it (or choose to not show the screenshot
  for them: easier, at first).
* Users can use GNOME. That has another systray manager.

I would want to know you opinions about that.
It's clear we can't manage all that. Or we have a lot of work to do.
... Inside KDE but also in desktopintegration.

The question is: should the screenshot patch be canceled and not
integrated to KDE?
Or someone find ways to fix problems?

The two first could be solved by adding the corresponding methods to
kicker.
Then for the two lasts... don't know.

Sincerly,

Sébastien Laoût.