System Tray Configuration

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Nov 30 18:24:24 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 30 of November 2004 17:54, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 November 2004 07:03, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > > should provide _NET_WM_NAME, WM_CLASS and _NET_WM_ICON properties. Qt
> > > already sets WM_CLASS, I could add setting of _NET_WM_ICON and
> > > _NET_WM_NAME to KSystemTray, the system tray applet could fetch it
> > > using the KWin kdecore class then.
> >
> >  Attached patches add support for icon and caption for systray icons.
> > There should be no problem with icons, it will simply get the same icon
> > as will be shown. I'm still not quite sure about the caption, now the
> > dialog shows e.g. 'KDE Keyboard Tool' (i18n-ed) instead of 'kxkb', which
> > is IMHO better,
>
> this will be a definite improvement. it doesn't solve the case for nonKDE
> apps but then there's nothing we can do about that. it also relies on the
> systray apps using rational sized icons, which all of the KDE systray apps
> do, so we're covered... i'd say commit.

 Done. And actually I think it solves the case also for non-KDE apps - the XDG
spec requires (I think it requires, not just suggests, cannot check) them,
and we support only KDE and XDG systray icons. Moreover the KWin kdecore
methods will try fallbacks if they don't find them.

 Note that apps that inherit from KSystemTray need rebuilding in order to use
the new methods.

> > but this is not guaranteed to be a constant string. Maybe internally
> > KWin::WindowInfo::windowClassClass() should be remembered.
>
> yes, it will have to be.. this is a fairly trivial change to make...

 Note that it's possible there will be some checks needed for multiple tray
icons from one type of app (I e.g. used to run two KBiff instances some years
ago). I don't think there's a good way to distinguish this.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org