Speeding up 'maximum length of command line' check

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Sat Nov 27 12:39:09 GMT 2004

On Saturday 27 November 2004 12:23, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Saturday 27 November 2004 11:48, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> > knows! The attached patch for admin/libtool.m4.in does just that, it
> > special-cases FreeBSD. OK to commit?
>
> It defeats the purpose of the check. Its not there to test the kernel
> limits of the command line, but of the user space limits.

I don't quite follow here: kern.argmax is
     KERN_ARGMAX
             The maximum bytes of argument to execve(2).
And in fact every package build on FreeBSD sets
    lt_cv_sys_max_cmd_len=`/sbin/sysctl -n kern.argmax`
in the environment _before running configure_, so for package builds this
whole test is moot _anyway_. It's really about saving the folks who build
from CVS some time; I suppose I can always copy the package build scheme and
set this extra environment variable.

--
Don't worry, 't ain't no shame to be stupid - ol' mouse.
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot