Still problems with gcc 3.4 and visibility

Daniel Roe daniel.c.roe at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 21:45:19 GMT 2004

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:06:07 +0000, Simone Gotti <simone.gotti at email.it> wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 November 2004 11:20, LuisMi Castilla wrote:
> > Hi, I have been following the discussion about compiling kde-head with gcc
> > 3.4 with visibility patches (gcc 3.4.3 from gentoo).
> >
> > Yesterday I couldn't compile it, but with dirk's fixes it compiles ok. The
> > problem is that konqueror, the taskbar and trayicon don't work correctly,
> > so I think it's still failing.
>
> Thanks to the  Jaroslaw Staniek suggestions I've fixed the missing konqueror's
> exported symbols. Now the sidebar and the verious views should work.
>
> Can someone review and tell me if I can commit it?

I can confirm that your patch fixes the undefined symbol error for
init_konq_listview and init_konq_iconview. Thanks very much!

There are still problems with visibility though. Most notably:

[KDED]
kio (kioslave): WARNING: Can't communicate with kded_kpasswdserver!
kio_http_debug: WARNING: (12298) Can't communicate with kded_kcookiejar!

[KIO]
Could not find kdemain: /usr/kde/cvs/lib/kde3/kio_thumbnail.so:
undefined symbol: main

[KLIPPER]
/usr/kde/cvs/lib/kde3/klipper_panelapplet.so: undefined symbol: init

[KHOTKEYS]
/usr/kde/cvs/lib/kde3/kcm_khotkeys.so: undefined symbol: init_khotkeys

[KICKER]
Various applets don't display properly, for example the clock, system
tray, taskbar, pager. They display as though there were only a few
pixels width to fit the whole contents of the applet. So nothing
except a bit of hoverable frame is displayed for systray and clock; a
button and a half for the taskbar; a few lines for the pager. I'll
provide screenshots if you'd like. But I think the problem is a
visibility problem.

[KDM]
Fails to start with an error about loading a widget. I think it was
mentioned earlier on this list, but I'll check.

I'll keep you up to date as I discover more.

(My gcc: version 3.4.3  (Gentoo Linux 3.4.3, ssp-3.4.3-0,
pie-8.7.6.6). I cleaned my system of KDE completely before building
the latest version in case the problem were to do with digital
rubbish.)

regards,
Daniel