RFC: Keeping track of online/offline status & central DNS service

Will Stephenson lists at stevello.free-online.co.uk
Thu Nov 25 17:42:31 GMT 2004

On Thursday 25 November 2004 14:29, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> (Cornelius)
> > Might it be desirable to not require DCOP here, so that distribution
> > specific tools don't need to be able to use DCOP?
>
> In KDE4 they will be able to use DBUS instead. I don't think it makes sense
> to develop a new IPC mechanism just to fill the gap till then. Note that
> they can use the dcop command line utility as long as we don't put
> non-standard data types in the DCOP interface. That's a point to keep in
> mind of course.

I don't know about developing a new IPC but it would make sense to provide a
lower level hook so that this service can talk to the numerous distribution
specific connection control tools, and listen to their notification services,
even if it requires distributions to write a glue plugin.  We could provide a
DCOP plugin for the simple case and replace this part with DBUS for KDE 4.

Will
--
Will Stephenson
IRC: Bille