Fwd: Re: Fix for --as-needed

Michael Matz matz at kde.org
Mon Nov 22 13:44:31 GMT 2004

Hi,

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004, Thiago Macieira wrote:

> My solution consists in:
> 1) adding the --enable-new-dtags flag to the linker, if supported. This
> makes GNU ld emit RUNPATH directives as well as RPATH. The consequence is
> twofold:
> 	a) RPATH is ignored
> 	b) RUNPATH is overrideable by LD_LIBRARY_PATH at run-time
>
> 2) making libtool's stub script use LD_LIBRARY_PATH as well as relinking.

This should do no harm.  It changes a bit the way how you can call the
lt-* binary.  After calling the script once it was self-contained (i.e.
contained all relevant RPATHs), so it was possible to call the lt-* binary
directly.  Now you really have to go through the script for setting
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

> These two changes make the correct library be loaded.
>
> 3) make the --as-needed flag usage default to yes only if
> --enable-new-dtags is present as well

I don't like this.  The reason is, that some ld's (well, yes, SuSE's
binutils) have this active by default.  On those it works without the
flag.  I would expect that somewhen the default for using the new dtags
will be switched globally.  So the dependency of as-needed on new-dtags
should not be strict.

Ciao,
Michael.