[patch] desktop icon text lines

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Nov 21 20:10:09 GMT 2004

On Sunday 21 November 2004 19:47, Martin Koller wrote:
> Personally, I think not cropping text would be a better solution - why would a
> user use a long text, if not for seeing it.
Sure - the question is whether seeing it in the tooltip is a good compromise
(to keep a reasonable grid).

> Regarding the tooltip: I have also seen, that the tooltip does not show the
> name of the file - as I assume it is intentionally, why was this choosen ?
I assume it's not intentional (the kfilemetainfo developers assumes the filename
would be fully visible and therefore redundant if in the tooltip as well). But several
reports show the contrary - e.g. #89224.

> (It's worse when the tooltip is shown in konqi listview when a column is too
> small to show the full name)
Yep, another good example.

> Anybody mind the following patch ?
Looks good to me, please commit.

An interesting related problem is #62675 - we should disable qiconview's own
"tooltip for the truncated filename" when the kfilemetainfo tooltips are enabled.