[patch] desktop icon text lines

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Sun Nov 21 17:02:20 GMT 2004

On Sunday 21 November 2004 16:52, Anders Lund wrote:
> On Sunday 21 November 2004 16:33, Frans Englich wrote:
> > I wonder when it is of interest to have the icon text cropped. If the
> > user have deliberately entered long texts, does he/she then wants to see
> > long texts? Perhaps such a reasoning should be combined with an upper
> > limit, such that _really_ long texts, such as auto generated files,
> > doesn't break.
>
> Never, in fact.
> I *hate* not beeing able to see the filename of a icon wether on the
> desktop or in any directory view. Esp. considering that the file names are
> not in the tooltip, it's *a very bad choice*.
>
> In some cases the _really_ long filenames you mention is the result of
> using find or a protocol like locate, and beeing left without the filename
> makes the fancy gui useless.
>
> Imo.

:))

So, one can surely do some thinking about hiding. As only a quick thought;
AFAICT, it degrades the spatial and direct manipulation effect, but that
doesn't mean the overall result is negative. We should think about the
feature as whole and have dead clear why it exists, before we start
configuring away its deficiencies :)

More specifically, what would happen if (I know nothing about this feature):

* It was removed(the texts is not cropped)? What user scenarios could it
degrade? Is it tied to a specific user group?

* The default was set at 5 lines?

Cheers,

		Frans