Disabling -fvisibility for kdewidgets and styles

Unai Garro ugarro at telefonica.net
Sat Nov 20 23:35:13 GMT 2004

Hi Dirk,

After so much mess trying to fix the kde build I found what the problem
was. It seems kdelibs/kdewidgets and styles are built with
-fvisibility=hidden, and that breaks the plugin loading by Qt. Due to
that kdebase won't build either, since the configure script won't find
the kdewidget plugins for uic.

I disabled the flag for kdewidget just adding -fvisibility=default, and
now my kdebase seems to be building just fine. I could not do this by
any other means than hacking into the generated Makefile.

Could this be made the default behaviour for Qt plugins like widgets and
styles?

I'm not sure if this is the normal behaviour in other compilers, but I
got this problem in gcc 3.4.2 and 3.4.3 provided by gentoo. Others seem
to have similar issues, and I guess the reason is the same. 3.3.x
compilers work fine, but I don't think they include any visibility
patches, right?

Rergards,

	Unai