Moving kfilereplace to kdeutils

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Fri Nov 12 23:46:55 GMT 2004

On Friday, 12. November 2004 22:56, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 08:06:07PM +0100, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> > Thinking about it, most of the recent
> > additions to kdesdk really would lead a better life in KEG, kompare,
> > umbrello, kcachegrind...
>
> I don't see why.

Some reasons:

- They're not really part of a KDE SDK, they're general purpose development
tools. So you might say "big deal, we just rename kdesdk to kdevelopmenttools
then", but:

- In order to pacify users and not let stuff like kdewebdev and KDevelop
depend on all of kdesdk, packagers have to split them out of the module
anyway.

- There's no real benefit for those applications being tied to the KDE release
cycle. For KCacheGrind, it's even suboptimal - it should rather be synced
with valgrind.

- We'd reduce the size of a main KDE module and stop a long standing trend
towards the exact other direction.

> but many people would rather develop as part
> of KDE proper.

In what way is developing in KEG not proper? You get to have your own release
schedule, yet retain the benefit of KDE's build system and access to KDE's
repo.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org