file:///

Martin Koller m.koller at surfeu.at
Fri Nov 12 21:24:05 GMT 2004

On Friday 12 November 2004 19:53, Andras Mantia wrote:
> On Friday 12 November 2004 12:55, Rolf Magnus wrote:
> > For what reason? Why is it so absolutely necessary to add a dummy //,
> > even if the protocol doesn't support a concept of a host?
>
> I just discovered today that file://something/foo complains about
> missing samba. :-0 I always thought smb:// is for samba shares...
> So in KDE file:// seems to support some kind of hosts.

This is because of the feature that konqi can forward a file://host/path URL
to another protocol, if it does not find the given one. I think the default
is smb:// (which is indeed very nice if you work in a mixed Linux/Windows
environment)

--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin    ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail

       Some operating systems are called 'user friendly',
             Linux however is 'expert friendly'.