file:///

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Fri Nov 12 17:32:53 GMT 2004

On Friday 12 November 2004 17:05, Jason Keirstead wrote:

> On Friday 12 November 2004 11:52 am, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Did you read the RFC? It only talks about a set of ~7 protocols that got
> > specific rules, all others are <protocol>:<protocol specific>
> >

> That is needlessly supidified IMO. Why would 7 protocols all use
> [protocol]://, and none others?
>
> IMO all IO Slaves should support the dual-slash syntax. I have to correct
> myself all the time because of this.

Not having read any specs or RFCs on the matter, up until now I assumed
all the double-slashed conventions of naming a protocol/URL were
network-related, while the single-slashed ones usually access local
resources. This my personal assumption is backed up by the way CUPS
names its "device URIs": It uses single slashes for "serial:/", "usb:/",
"parallel:/" "scsi:/" and "file:/" backends, while it has double
slashes for "ipp://", "http://", "smb://", "socket://" and "lpd://"
backends.

Kurt