KDE 4 Development book

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Fri Nov 12 16:42:26 GMT 2004

On Friday 12 November 2004 16:04, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:

> On Friday, 12. November 2004 15:36, Frans Englich wrote:
> >
> > I've done research for this exciting project, and with the help of the
> > authors of Doxygen(Dimitre) and Docbook XSL(Bob, Smith), all technical
> > issues are resolved, AFAICT.
>
> What about the technical problem of editing Docbook sources? I'm not aware of
> any satisfying open source solution for this problem.

Isn't Quanta well on its way here already??

----
Also, I think we should separate "writing content" from "marking up docbook"
here. If someone can do it in one go: fine. If others can write good content
but abhor DocBook, we should try and find volunteers to do the marking up.
After all, this is how it works for KDE documentation (with Lauri bearing the
brunt of the markup work, AFAIK).

I myself contributed around 130 pages to the "Official Samba HOWTO and
Reference Guide", part of the Samba sources, and released under the GPL (and
also published as a printed book by Prentice Hall under a commercial contract
with 2 Samba Team mebers acting as trustees for the complete Samba Team).

I wrote HTML/ASCII content completely, and one of the DocBook experts of the
Samba Team made the markup. Had I been required to deliver in DocBook, the
two printing chapters in that book would be here now.

Cheers,
Kurt