file:///

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Fri Nov 12 15:38:33 GMT 2004

On Thursday 11 November 2004 6:14 pm, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> >I completly agree.
>
> I don't.
>
> >We can just specify the syntax as "file:[//host]/path" making the remote
>
> The syntax is actually protocol://[host]/path. The // is mandatory.
>
> That it is visual clutter, I agree.

This thread is confusing to me. Some people are griping with the cleanup by
saying it wouldn't be RFC compliant.

But half the URLs in KDE aren't RFC compliant anyways. Many IO Slaves do not
follow this scheme. By RFC, the URL for the settings IO slave at the root
should be settings:// or settings://localhost. Neither work. You can't have
more than 1 slash. The same can be said of print:/, fonts:/, audiocd:/, etc.
I don't see why file:/ should be treated any differently than a "File IO
slave".

--
If you wait by the river long enough, eventually
you will see the bodies of all your enemies float by.