KDE 4 Development book

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Fri Nov 12 13:31:40 GMT 2004

On Friday 12 November 2004 14:29, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:

> On Friday 12 November 2004 10:49, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > On Friday, 12. November 2004 09:23, Frerich Raabe wrote:
> > >
> > > did anybody here meditate about a KDE 4 development book yet?
> >
> > I did meditate about such a thing a while ago. The problem is that it's not
> > very likely to find a publisher.
>
> Not true.
>
> If you guys take care of the writing, I'll take care of finding a
> publisher. I might even find half a dozen, and in the end you
> could choose to negotiate the best deal.

A "best deal" for me would include to have its source code in the
CVS repository and the authors to be free to publish it under a
free license.

> To do a pure electronic book without a publisher is much less attractive work
> than a real book.

(To add to what I wrote initially:)

To me as a reader, a "real book" is also (and still) much more
attractive than an electronic book. I find myself repeatedly in
a situation where I go and buy a book printed on dead trees that
I had read before as a PDF.

> We could just as well polish and extend developer.kde.org a
> bit.

I think the "KDE 4.x Development Book" as a new project (also in
CVS) could server a tremendously useful purpose to KDE as a whole
(even if it attracts only s.th. like 10 contributors), more so
than just polishing developer.kde.org.

Cheers,
Kurt