file:///

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Fri Nov 12 11:49:15 GMT 2004

On Friday 12 November 2004 06:51, Andras Mantia wrote:
> On Friday 12 November 2004 00:29, George Staikos wrote:
> > On Thursday 11 November 2004 15:14, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > > break some applications that check if an url starts with "file:"
> > > and remove that string from the url.
> >
> >    ///foo is still a valid unix path anyway.  I don't think it would
> > really break any sane app.
>
> Then only the visual noise remains. One step would be that prettyURL
> returns file:/ and prettyURL(0, KURL::StripFileProtocol) returns only
> the path (as it does now). But I don't think that would "solve" the
> Konqueror's location bar case, but should do it in other cases where
> the URL is displayed just for informational purposes.

I really don't see the point of hiding it. If the standard that we agreed on
following says the correct URL is file:///whatever, then so it is. Hiding it
would make following the standard senseless.

I agree that 'file:///' looks silly and has no meaning, but we still agreed to
follow a standard that says that it should look like that. The only sane way
to change it is to work on getting the standard changed.

-anders

--
Homepage: http://www.alweb.dk
Jabber address: anderslund at jabber.dk