Spamming of news server

Christopher Molnar molnar at kde.org
Tue May 25 02:50:53 BST 2004

Hello,

The news server had a major spam problem over the last few days that I
was just made aware of by a Fidonet "sysop"  who asked me  to stop
carrying a whole bunch of groups. I have therefor cut off all user
posting to the news server and the system is now read only - I do not
wish to upset those whom allow me to cary their echos/groups. I also do
not have any good ways to control spam - as I do not have time to read
and moderate every post. I am also in the near future considering
restricting access to read - requiring user id and login - I am
concerned about people harvesting email addresses.

I am looking for ideas on how to resolve the above issues and if anyone
is familiar with innd can come up with an idea how to make email
addresses un-usable I would appreciate those as well.

I think I have gotten the config files properly to allow ktown.kde.org
to post, but if any problems occur please let me know.

Thanks,
-Chris