Default CFLAGS clobbering

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Sat May 22 13:56:20 BST 2004

On Saturday 22 May 2004 14:41, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> I've been meaning to raise this for a long time, but kept forgetting:
>
> Can we please get rid of -O2 in the default CFLAGS? FreeBSD has a rather
> strict policy regarding CFLAGS-cleanness for ports and I really think
> packagers should be able to set optimization as they see fit and without
> needing to run configure scripts through sed first.

I think for all the users out there compiling KDE on their own the -O2 makes
simply sense.

Instead of sed'ing configure I find it much simpler to simply set
CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS as environment variables. The options kde adds get prepended,
so your -Owhateveryouwant easily overrides the -O2 kde uses by default, with
gcc.

Simon