kdemultimedia (setCheckedState)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue May 18 09:15:59 BST 2004

On Tuesday 18 May 2004 09:17, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> On Saturday 15 May 2004 17:29, Stephan Binner wrote:
> > CVS commit by binner:
> >
> > setCheckedState++
> >

> >   M +6 -2      juk/juk.cpp   1.201
> >   M +4 -2      kmid/kmidframe.cpp   1.65
> >   M +1 -0      noatun/library/noatunstdaction.cpp   1.20
> >   M +1 -0      noatun/modules/excellent/userinterface.cpp   1.86
>
> To be honest -- I'd like to see this stuff ripped back out.  I didn't see a
> discussion of it anywhere and I think it's a regression in terms of
> usability.
>
> If I quickly glance at at toggle action I can distinguish:
>
> [ ] Show Search Bar
> [x] Show Search Bar
>
> very quickly.  It clearly visually indicates that it is a field with two
> states
That's not true - when it's not checked, nothing indicates that it can be checked.

> and what its present state is.

But the label is wrong. You have to click on "Show Search Bar" to hide
it, when it's shown. That's like clicking on "Start" to shutdown your computer :-))
Menu items are not status, but verbs, for actions, as much as possible.

> However with the options:
>
> o Show Search Bar
> o Hide Search Bar
>
> I actually have to read the label, think about the current state, etc.
You don't need to think about the current state - the label tells you
what clicking there will do.