Avoiding Problems by Avoiding Decisions

Charles de Miramon cmiramon at kde-france.org
Mon May 17 14:42:43 BST 2004

>I agree that doing that would remove the most offensive part of it, but
>unfortunatly the flags are there for a purpose:

>They help non-english speakers to find their own language from a default
>installation, and they help people like me if I accidentenly select a wierd
>language I can't decifer.

>Because of this I believe the flags should stay.

The problem is that flags are also liable to crazy nationalistic conflicts
like the ex-flag of Macedonia where Greece objected that they "stole" a
national Greek icon (a symbol depicted on the tomb of Philippe II of
Macedonia). So, if we don't want any problem, we should remove flags even if
I like them and they are cute.

With Georges' solution, what do we do with linguistic groups that span between
several countries and have nationalistic claims. If KDE is fully translated
in Basque, the Basque team will certainly wan't an Euskadi entry not
subordinated under Spain or France. Personnally, I don't care.

By the way, I've spotted that in KDE 3.2.2, Liechtenstein is classified in
Western Europe but Austria and Switzerland in Central Europe ; Germany outs
itself in Central Europe ; Estonia in Nordic Europe but Lettonia in Central
Europe. Classifications are never neutral.

Cheers,
Charles
cmiramon at kde-france.org
http://www.kde-france.org