KStandardDirs and Autopackage

Klas Kalaß klas.kalass at gmx.de
Fri May 14 17:20:34 BST 2004

Hi folks - sorry I don't reply correctly to the thread, but I only read it on
lists.kde.org and don't have the mails handy

The thread was about putting an application in a self contained dir. The
question popped up how one could register it correctly with KDE so that it
appears in the KMenu and such.
The proposed solution was to use symlinks, but symlinks need to be removed
again and result in quite some clutter. There is a better way to achieve
this. After all, this is KDE, right ? ;-)

I build a small script which does something similar: It adds self-contained
applications to the KDE environment, please have a look at the attachement

What it basically does is that it sets the environment variables, registers
them via DCOP with klauncher and calls kbuildsycoca. Voila - everything is
groovy :-)

Your application is in its own folder, yet you can access it from KDE without
logging out or creating symlinks or such :-)

Regards,
  Klas

PS: I really love autopackage and am dying to see version 1.0!