Avoiding Problems by Avoiding Decisions

Adriaan de Groot adridg at sci.kun.nl
Fri May 14 12:34:55 BST 2004

On Fri, 14 May 2004, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> One of my objections against the ISO list is that it only lists countries, and
> in KDE we might need to make region locales selectable as well.

That is a remarkably astute observation. Obviously the locale settings for
Wallonia and Flanders are different; although they're physically diffuse
in places, each individual choses which locale is hers or his. So this
_reintroduces_ the problem of how do we decide on the locales we have? The
ISO list can provide a start; where do we get our additions from?

Why can I chose Canada (Quebec) as a locale, and not Canada (occupied
territories north of the 49th just to the west of lake superior)?

Can of worms. And he who controls the worms, controls the spice.