Avoiding Problems by Avoiding Decisions

Antonio Larrosa larrosa at kde.org
Fri May 14 10:04:21 BST 2004

On Thursday 13 May 2004 18:06, George Staikos wrote:

I thought of a proposal yesterday that might be good enough for everyone (at
least I hope it is).

The way I see it, the ISO 3166 list doesn't only contain country names, but
contain two versions of them, the short name (until the ',') and the full
long name (which is a longer description of the country). We could use only
the short name in order to provide a better non-cluttered user interface, and
only use the "long name" when it's necessary in order to distinguish two
countries with the same "short name".

> On May 13, 2004 11:02, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > On Thu May 13 2004 16:50, George Staikos wrote:
> > > http://www.iso.ch/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/02iso-3166-code-lists
> > >/l is t-en1.html
> >
> > TAIWAN, PROVINCE OF CHINA 	TW
> > PALESTINIAN TERRITORY, OCCUPIED 	PS

In this cases, the short names are "Taiwan" and "Palestinian Territory", which
I suppose is right for the people living on those countries, and our decision
would be backed up by the ISO list, which is what George is trying to do the
way I see it (find a way to back up our decisions in a "neutral" way).

Also, Macedonia would still be Macedonia, since the list says:

MACEDONIA, THE FORMER YUGOSLAV REPUBLIC OF

whose long name is too long for an enjoyable user experience with our
desktop :)

The only "problem" would be repeated names like
VIRGIN ISLANDS, BRITISH
VIRGIN ISLANDS, U.S.
but as I said, our policy could be to use the long (complete) name in those
cases, since it would be silly to use the short names there.

Would everyone agree to choose that policy when naming countries?

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa
larrosa at kde.org