Avoiding Problems by Avoiding Decisions

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Thu May 13 21:34:24 BST 2004

On Thursday 13 May 2004 17:02, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Thu May 13 2004 16:50, George Staikos wrote:
> > http://www.iso.ch/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/02iso-3166-code-lists/l
> >is t-en1.html
>
> TAIWAN, PROVINCE OF CHINA 	TW
> PALESTINIAN TERRITORY, OCCUPIED 	PS
>
> No, I don't think it's a good idea to change our current policy in order to
> promote a greek political agenda.

Exactly. The international standard are set by the strongest parties, or are
just temporay comprises to make any political work possible. Where as
features and strings in KDE are set for usability issues, and not for
political agendas.

There are several problems with using the ISO list:
1. In some cases it directly offensive to the people that are supposed to find
their countries (se Waldo's two examples above).
2. Only recognized countries are in. In KDE we might want support oppresed
minority groups, or just distinct regions (Catalan or Tibet locale?).
3. The discription strings tend to get way too long, when no sensible comprise
have been found.
4. They are sometimes in contrast with common use.

I admit however that such a pragmatic solution is not without costs, besides
this rediculous discussion, there are consequences elsewhere. Recently the
Debian maintainer Herbert Xu  left the Debian project, because during an
equally heated discussion it was pointed out that some Debian packages,
namely kcontrol, already called Taiwan: Taiwan.
But like in the case with Niel Stevens, we can't really be responsible for the
lack of tolerance in extremists developers.

`Allan