[patch] async tilde expansion in KURLCompletion

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Tue May 11 20:16:41 BST 2004

Yeah, uhm, see the subject.

This patch moves the code that loops through the users' list into a separate
thread so that it doesn't block the GUI.

In an "enterprise" situation like what I'm in at work it's not uncommon to
have thousands of users on NIS or similar (we have 6000 NIS accounts).
Currently this means that Konq and file dialogs block for about 30 seconds
when the user presses '~'.

A timeout would also have worked and is used elsewhere in there, but that's
both less elegant and less functional.  (And actually I'd like to move some
of the code that's currently doing such over to something more like this.)

Flame now of forever hold your peace.  If I don't hear anything for a couple
of days I'll just commit.

-Scott

--
There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer
shelf life.