kdepim release (Was: Re: [Kde-pim] KDE 3.3 Release Plan is up)

Jeroen Wijnhout Jeroen.Wijnhout at kdemail.net
Tue May 11 12:46:30 BST 2004

>> Yes, like kdeextragear.
>
>Finally someone touch this point.
>Can this time extragear apps tagged too, including i18n ?
>I think that many packagers do apps like k3b, kdetv and now kiosktool at
>least..

That would create chaos imho. The whole point of KEG (kdeextragear) is to
allow those apps to have their own release cycle. Tagging KEG along with the
main KDE modules would mean tagging many KEG apps that are still in the beta
phase of their release cycle. Sooner or later someone is going to check-out
the KDE_3_3_RELEASE version of (let's say) Kile, which is very likely to be
in the beta phase around august. Not a good thing I can tell you.

That doesn't mean there isn't a problem with KEG, it is inconvenient for
packagers and translators. Still it is more convenient compared to a
situation where all the KEG apps are scattered around, in many different
repositories.

This has been discussed several times on the KEG mailinglist. My personal
solution to this problem is:
1) to try to keep up with the main KDE release cycle as much as possible
2) to have a strict message freeze in Kile's own stable branches, such that
translators only have to translate HEAD.

best,
Jeroen
--
Kile - KDE Integrated LaTeX Editor