KDE 3.2.2 Build Problems with GCC 3.4

André Wöbbeking Woebbeking at onlinehome.de
Sun May 9 18:44:55 BST 2004

Hi Simon,

On Saturday 08 May 2004 11:45, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> On Saturday 08 May 2004 11:14, André Wöbbeking wrote:
> >
> > could you tell me the section in the standard. Every time I'm tring
> > to find something in the standard I'm lost.
>
> From gcc.gnu.org:
> "[dcl.init.ref]/5, bullet 2, sub-bullet 1 and [class.temporary]/2"
>
> That's 8.5.3.5 and 12.2.2, if you prefer numbering scheme.

thank you.

> > So the attached file shouldn't compile? Hmm, it does (with GCC 3.3
> > and 3.4).
>
> None of the two foo calls involves binding an rvalue to the const

are you sure? For foo(1) a temporary Dummy object must be created
implicitly.

> Dummy & parameter of foo. However if you add foo(Dummy()); then it'll
> break.

IMHO this is braindead and other compiler can handle it. And as you
quoted

"The constructor that would be used to make the copy shall be callable
whether or not the copy is actually done"

the standard uses the word "shall" and not "must". So GCC 3.4.0 should
not treat this as an error (only if GCC really copies the temporary).

André