Namespaces in libkdecore

Frerich Raabe raabe at kde.org
Sun May 2 15:48:29 BST 2004

On Sunday 02 May 2004 16:29, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> On Sunday 02 May 2004 16:10, Frerich Raabe wrote:
> > From what I can see, the original assumption that namespaces are a wanted
> > feature is bogus, and unless I get to see a few compelling reasons to
> > ::-ify the sources I'm not convinced of it.
>
> Please read my earlier response to Matthias.  His mail pretty much said the
> same thing as yours and my reponce would be almost identical.  ;-)

I read that response already and after reading it I was even more convinced
that the reasoning is too weak. Please correct me if I'm wrong but

	1.) "If you've worked with namespace'd libraries before, the K-prefix looks
ugly."

and

	2.) "I see that some (arguably newer) stuff in KDE uses namespaces already
and I'd like to standardize on whether we go for a namespace or not."

were the only remaining arguments (I take the "versioning" thing is settled).
(1) is subjective (as you noted already) and barely an argument and (2)
hasn't been an issue in all the years KIO has had it's own namespace, and I
don't see a reason why it should be an issue now.

FWIW, the vast majority of kdelibs classes are at global namespace scope,
there's no "Uncertainity about whether something is in a namespace or not"
problem at all, and all the libraries which are scattered across the KDE
modules (think kdepim) are from my POV quite independant anyway and free to
do whatever floats the author's boat.

- Frerich