Namespaces in libkdecore

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at kdemail.net
Sat May 1 19:22:16 BST 2004

Scott Wheeler wrote:
>Or as I would prefer:
>
>namespace KDE3 {
>  typedef KDE::UI::LineEdit KLineEdit;
>}
>
>Then people could pretty easily make things work with a "using
> namespace KDE3;"

Of course. Why didn't I think of that?

>What do folks think about doing a compatibility lib with KDE 4 for
> deprecated KDE 3 classes?  I'd prefer to get them out of our public
> API that we expose to authors of new KDE applications (since our
> public API now contains ~3000 classes), but if they were in a
> compatibility lib we would be be able to provide them to keep old
> sources working.  It seems that Trolltech will be doing this for Qt 4
> with the deprecated classes like QCString, QListView, etc.

I'm all for it. But are we talking about one single lib with everything
compat, or one lib for core-compat, one for ui-compat, etc.?

I, for one, would just as soon make KExtendedSocket drop out of the face
of the Earth. :-)
--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info