KSpell 2

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Sat May 1 02:15:54 BST 2004

On Friday 30 April 2004 20:16, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Friday 30 April 2004 06:52, Zack Rusin wrote:
> > 5) global ignore list and a new configuration dialog
> >  ( http://www.automatix.de/~zack/kspell2_2.png ). i'm considering
> > just removing the "skip run-together words" option and having it on
> > by default.
>
> Why don't you simply use the default that's defined by the dictionary
> (at least for ispell dictionaries the default value is defined
> somewhere)?

Because besides ispell there's also aspell, hspell, myspell and probably
a few others. Of course ideally code should be written that handles all
the checkers and propagates the ignore words to all of them, but quite
frankly I'm not sure if I can finish it before the next release and I
prefer to have "a" working implementation in time than "the"
implementation not in time.
Actually aspell plugin has code to handle it but ispell plugin doesn't
it. So once it's ported I'll switch it but for now this will do.

> For German which is famous for the
> Donaudampfschifffahrtskapitänsmütze "skip run-together words" should
> be enabled, but I don't think that it should be enabled for English
> (or did I miss that in English now also words can be simply
> concatenated to form composita?).

The run-together detection is super simplified right now and I enabled
it by default for all because personally I was sick of things like
KUniqueApplication or KSimpleConfig or YouGetThePoint marked as
misspelled.

> From man ispell:
> "The -B and -C options control how ispell handles run-together words,
> such as "notthe" for "not the". If -B is specified, such words will
> be considered as errors, and ispell will list variations with an
> inserted blank or hyphen as possible replacements. If -C is

KSpell 2 currently can't do that which is why this option is not there.
Note that besides ispell there's a lot more spellcheckers which don't
have that future which is why in order to have consistent options I
need to implement it on a higher level for those.

Thanks for the comments :)

Zack

--
Lady, just 'cause you're having a bad hair day doesn't mean you can
park in the handicap space.