Instant messenger interface library

Will Stephenson lists at stevello.free-online.co.uk
Tue Mar 30 23:30:27 BST 2004

Hi,

I've been working on a generic IM interface library for apps which would like
to use IM functions.  We discussed this last year on lists[1] and at N7Y, and
what I've got is a proof of concept implementation that follows that design.
It is a generic DCOP service interface, implemented by Kopete and hopefully
other KDE IM apps, providing presence information and contact information,
and a helper library that wraps the DCOP, and provides a smart widget
representing a single user.

There is a fair bit of work to be done in defining the final interface, but as
this is affected by a lot of people's needs (IM apps, PIM apps, games) I'd
like to show what I've got so far and get some feedback to have a chance of
getting this in KDE 3.3.  I've told kde-pim but I gather they're busy so in
the meantime world+dog might as well kick its tyres.

At the moment I have a sample interface, a library, kcm_componentchooser bits
for user IM app preference, patch vs kopete HEAD and a sample kpanelapplet.

http://homepages.cs.ncl.ac.uk/william.stephenson/home.informal/kimproxy-0.1.tar.bz2

http://homepages.cs.ncl.ac.uk/william.stephenson/home.informal/imapplets_5.png

Will

[1] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kopete-devel&m=105782904522971&w=2