khelpcenter+drkonqi -> kdelibs (Re: Refactoring KCM technology)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Mar 23 18:04:14 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 23 March 2004 18:53, Maksim Orlovich wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, David Faure wrote:
>
> > I have yet to see a good argument against moving khelpcenter and drkonqi to kdelibs,
>
> One issue is that they're not versionned --- you can (in theory) install
> kdelibs3 and hypothetical kdelibs4 at once, but installing two copies of
> khelpcenter is unlikely to work. That could of course be resolved by the
> packager splitting the apps + libs portions, but it may be a sort of
> confusing thing. (Although, we may have the same problem with meinproc,
> etc..)

OK, now that's a VERY good argument for a kdeframework or kdelibsapps module,
with all the binaries currently in kdelibs.

Hmm, on the other hand, how would this work? If you have kdelibs3 and kdelibs4 side
by side, the purpose is to be able to run kde3 and kde4 applications side by side, right?
But with only kdeframework4 installed, (i.e. the binaries from kde4 but no binaries from kde3),
any helper binary that needs to be started by a kde3 app, will in fact be a kde4 binary.
Which means we have to keep compatibility in the arguments for those apps, and their behavior,
and their name. Ah well, I guess it's doable. Even if I rename kfmclient I'll add a symlink :)

We would also have to keep backwards compat in the ksycoca file, but I guess that's
what we do already.