when a script is not a script according to krun...

Harri Porten porten at froglogic.com
Tue Mar 23 15:03:40 GMT 2004

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, ian reinhart geiser wrote:

> The idea in my mind is that all files that have been chmod +x should try
> to be executed first, and if that fails if they are also of a mime type
> text/plain opened with a text editor.  This way pyQt/pyKDE, rubyQt and
> KJSEmbed  can be useful for doing applications in kde, without the ever
> popular windows issue of executing any script you try to open.

A side note: I suggest reserving the .js suffix for HTML (and bare native)
scripts. ECMAScript extension should use a different suffix IMO. Otherwise
there'll be clashes.

For Python, Perl etc. things are different because they only have one
central interpreter that is extended by modules. There's a clear
standard on how these are organized and statements like "import" throw
an error if a module is not available. As this mechanism is not yet
standardised in ECMAScript I think we should keep incompatible scripts
clearly separated.

Harri.