Extending KCModuleProxy

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Wed Mar 17 19:54:15 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 17 March 2004 13:46, Frans Englich wrote:
> On Monday 15 March 2004 11:05, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> >
> > On Mon March 15 2004 02:13, Frans Englich wrote:
> > > * Is $KDETMP fully supported and an "official" feature?
> >
> > It is not supported at all as far as I can see.
>
> bash-2.05b$ echo $KDETMP
> /home/frans/kde/kde_tmp/
> bash-2.05b$ pwd
> /mnt/data/home/frans/kde/kde_tmp
> bash-2.05b$ ls
> kde-frans  ksocket-frans
> bash-2.05b$
>
> It's quite practical when running several KDE setups.
>
> I will poke around some, see when it works and not works.

Yeah, there's a huge difference between the existence of those links and
their actual use. KDETMP is one of those dark corners of KDE. It's used
in lnusertemp to actually create the directory. ksmserver uses it only
to check whether it's writable and that's it. I can't remember whether
we actually add it to kstandarddirs at any point but I don't think so.
Furthermore almost all others places in KDE which do use tmp dir
use /tmp by default.
Anyway if you don't want to be browsing too much code, check whether
there's actually anything
in  /home/frans/kde/kde_tmp/{kde-frans,ksocket-frans}.

Zack

--
With Windows Millenium MS was able to get the boot time down to 25
seconds.