KDE 4 modules structure (again)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Mar 17 17:00:04 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 17 March 2004 17:22, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> Again: splitting up on an app- or lib-level reduces dependency
> problems ( no more moving stuff from kdenonbeta to elsewhere
That means no more quality control. Right now an app is only moved
to a released kde module when it's good enough, which ensures a
certain level of quality. If people would just go ahead and create one
module per app from the start, users would have no idea what's good
and what's bad, within kde. Currently it's quite clear: when you use
something from kdenonbeta, you know the risks you're taking.

> no more moving other stuff around
The problem with moving is CVS's limitations, not the fact that we sometimes
need to move stuff.

> no more not using stuff because it's in the
> wrong module ( KDE-Edu is already waiting for a long time for
> KNewStuff to kdelibs ) etc.
Oh joy. Not even a kdelibs anymore? Independent libs? Oh I do not want
to imagine the number of version checks in the configure scripts and
the amount of possible combinations of lib versions etc. etc.
Does kparts-3.3.5 work with kio-3.2.42, or does it need kio-3.2.43+?
Sorry, I really don't see how this would make things easier for developers.

> It also draws clear borders between
> different apps and libs, which is a very good thing for the packagers,
> users caring about what apps they need etc.
On the contrary, it would make every border fuzzy (see above).