KDE 4 modules structure (again)

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Mar 14 17:40:19 GMT 2004

On Sunday 14 March 2004 17:45, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Sunday 14 March 2004 17:19, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> > Maks Orlovich writes:
> > > 5. Increases the clean build time --- every single module needs
> > > to have configure genederate, configure run; doing this
> > > per-module is quicker than doing this per-application
> >
> > This is partly true, but its effects are not so bad because:
> > 1 The amount of work that configure needs to do per-app will
> >   decrease.
>
> Finding maximum length of command-line args ... 524128
>
> that takes a hell of a long time.

I'm using the same config.cache for all modules and I never ran into
problems. The above value would have to be determined exactly once for
a complete build of the whole of KDE. This is completely independent of
the number of modules KDE is split in. So it's pretty much irrelevant
how long a particular config check takes provided that the result of
this check is cached and used by all following configure runs.

Regards,
Ingo