KDE 4 modules structure (again) (was: structure of kde cvs modules, was Re: libkipi in kdesupport)

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Mar 14 16:41:56 GMT 2004

On Sunday 14 March 2004 16:57, Maks Orlovich wrote:
> > 1 Get rid of all inter-module dependency problems.
>
> Wrong. It rather creates more of them, as you have to track what relies on
> what individually, rather than at a per-module level. The thing it really
> can help with is breaking dependency cycles, but those don't seem to matter
> much. If dependencies were so easy with split modules, why all the talk
> about build scripts needing non-trivial amount of work, then?
>
> Clearly, the best way of getting rid of dependencies problems is to make
> everything into a single package.

Maybe I'm wrong but dependancies are usually that an app depends on some lib,
right ?
So.... it seems currently the plan is to convert kdesupport into some kind of
addon-library module. I'd suggest that all libraries are moved in one module.
We could argue whether this will be kdelibs or if they should be divided
between essential kde libraries and more application specific kde libraries.
Wouldn't this help most dependancy problems ?

For the applications, well, all in one or each one in it's own module would be
the two extreme options.
I'd suggest to create a module for the kde desktop (kwin, kicker, kdesktop,
ksmserver, khotkeys, kxkb, maybe kdcop, i.e. everything you need to run the
kde desktop but no kde "applications").
I'd say the modules kdebase (i.e. what is left of it after a lot of it has
become kdedesktop), kdenetwork, kdegraphics, kdepim (?), kdemultimedia could
be merged into one module (kdeapps) or two modules (kdeapps and kdeutils).
koffice, kdegames, kdeedu, i.e. modules which contain many apps or apps which
are for a more or less specialized task should stay in their own module.

Currently we have e.g. a module kdenetwork. And we have the modules kdepim,
kdebase and kdelibs. Now, why is the ftp-ioslave in kdelibs ? It's 100%
network stuff. And why is the pop3 ioslave in kdebase ? The same could be
said about kmail, it's both network and pim, and also very essential, i.e.
basic, so it would qualify for all three modules. Why is kfind in kdebase,
IMO it's really a utility. And so on.

To make it short, IMO libs and similar things should go into library
module(s), apps and similar things into app module(s).

Bye
Alex