(1) how to hide helper classes (2) KDE_NO_INLINE missing?

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at virgilio.it
Sun Mar 14 01:59:37 GMT 2004

On Sunday 14 March 2004 00:54, Brad Hards wrote:

> I haven't tried it yet, but anecdotal advice from Andrew Tridgell indicates
> that Samba builds get a huge improvement. That is almost certainly helped
> by the particular Samba header file system, where they only ever include
> one header in each file (and it is always the same one - it includes
> everything else that is required), so they get a lot of assistance from
> pre-compiled headers.
>
> Maybe we can get better performance by making a standard <kde-includes.h>
> that includes the 20 most common KDE headers and the 10 most common Qt
> headers. Then work through the KDE files and rip out the duplicates. Worth
> a try for someone with a lot of high performance hardware and a bit of
> spare time.

As you, I haven't tried it yet. However, an approach similar to yours could
work, but I don't think the precompiled header should be #included for real.

Reading the gcc manual, I see that the precompiled header could be included
from the command line. Since Qt and KDE includes are guarded against multiple
inclusion, a single include file could be used covering most of Qt and
Kdelibs if the compiler supports it, otherwise everything would work as it
does currently. No need to edit existing KDE files, just some more checks
in the autotools scripts.

--
Luciano Montanaro //
                \X/ mikelima at virgilio.it