structure of kde cvs modules, was Re: libkipi in kdesupport

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Sat Mar 13 23:53:57 GMT 2004

On Saturday, 13 March 2004 17:16, Alexander Neundorf wrote:

[cut interesting discussion about cvs modules]

> So, maybe also some of the other modules should/could be restructured.
> kdebase could be converted to maybe "kdedesktop", containing the desktop
> stuff, kdesktop, kicker, kwin, ksmserver, ksplashscreen, kstart, kxkb,
> kmenuedit, but not konqy.

Well, if it's to extend the discussion, I'd rather like to extend it to the
full scope. And we then would have to consider Daniel (Molkentin)'s
proposition: a fresh start for KDE-4.

While I don't really have a strong opinion on splitting libs into libcore and
libapps (I'm more tempted to have all libs in a fine grained collection, all
hosted in a libs module), I definitely believe we should break with the
current generic modules model.  IMO, apps should be hosted independently
(each one in its module, with their respective docs, web page and
internationalization. But I'm far from knowing if this is even feasible.

Anyways, for now I halt here, waiting for eventual other opinions. Maybe
Daniel jumps in with his proposal too.

(I hope this is on topic... /me rather puzzled with the huge list of rules to
respect in the project as a whole lately)

--
Cristian Tibirna
KDE developer .. tibirna at kde.org .. http://www.kde.org