(1) how to hide helper classes (2) KDE_NO_INLINE missing?

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Sat Mar 13 12:56:33 GMT 2004

On Friday 12 March 2004 17:43, Leo Savernik wrote:
> Am Freitag 12 März 2004 11:42 schrieb Brad Hards:
> [...]
>
> > GCC 3.4 supports precompiled headers. It is not without the odd bug
> > though...
>
> Will gcc 3.4 make building kde significantly faster? Do you have any
> experience on that (like going down from ~9hrs to ~2hrs)?

Measured with kdecore and kdeui I see a speedup between 25 and 30 percent.

It seems to depend on the choice of headers to include and somehow on the
code, as with Qt the speedup seems to be higher. For development it only pays
off when primarily working on the .cpp files, otherwise you end up with more
recompilations due to more dependencies.

However 3.4 is said to be slower than 3.3, so one probably has to substract a
bit from that then when comparing against 3.3.

Simon