kimgio + kfile-plugin for SGI images (*.rgb, *.rgba, *.bw, *.sgi) [which mimetype?]

Melchior FRANZ mfranz at kde.org
Tue Mar 9 15:06:31 GMT 2004

* Waldo Bastian -- Tuesday 09 March 2004 16:00:
> On Tue March 9 2004 12:47, Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> > http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/image/ doesn't mention a
> > mimetype, but http://www.utoronto.ca/ian/books/html4ed/appb/mimetype.html
> > suggests:
> >
> >   image/rgb
> >   image/x-rgb
> >   image/x-sgi-bw
> >   image/x-sgi-rgba
>
> Google gives by far the most hits on "image/x-rgb", extension "rgb" and "RGB
> Image" as name. E.g. http://docs.rinet.ru/CP7/ch15.htm and
> http://www.he.net/faq/tutorials/htaccess/htaccess2.txt
>
> So I suggest to go with that one.

OK. And what about the other possibilities? The second link above says that
all four can be found on the internet. Do I have to consider this somewhere?
Looks as if KDE gets it right by using the magic info, and I noticed no
problems so far. But what if someone sends me an attachment that is classified
as "image/x-sgi-rgba"? Will this be a problem?

m.