3.2 Response

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Tue Mar 9 04:19:18 GMT 2004

   I've been receiving quite a bit of response from my clients and users of
Kst regarding KDE 3.2.  I think it's of value to post a note to all the
developers so they know how people feel about it.  Overall the response has
been VERY positive.  Users love the new features and new applications.  Many
of them were not using KDE before using Kst or Qt applications I develop, and
are pleasantly surprised when they try out KDE for the first time.  However,
the most overwhelming response is how many people say "wow, KDE 3.2 is so
fast!"  People have really taken notice of the performance improvements in
KDE 3.2.  The performance of KDE - startup time, application launch time, and
general runtime performance (such as displaying dialogs, etc) - is extremely
important.  While we should keep in mind that average computing power is
constantly increasing and making some optimization relatively less
significant, every little bit -does- help the overall picture.  It makes KDE
much more pleasant to use.  I plead to developers, keep this in mind for KDE
3.2.x and 3.3.  Be very careful not to degrade performance.  Use KCachegrind
on your applications regularly to find existing hotspots and watch for new
ones that crop up.  Be careful of extra mallocs that are unnecessary (as seen
in a thread on kde-cvs today).  Don't suck in loads of libraries that we
really don't need, and don't subvert the work to prevent unnecessary
relocations.  I think most of you know all of this, and of course the many
other ways to keep KDE fast.

   I think KDE is improving in very significant ways lately, and all
indications I have are that KDE is gaining users very quickly, including
existing Linux users who were not previously using KDE.  This is very
important for KDE, and we need to be very careful to preserve this trend.
I've seen it with business clients, I've seen it with Linux/OSS community
interaction, and I've seen it at Linux shows and conferences.  Good work with
3.2, and let's keep KDE fast in the next releases too!

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/