Move gopher_kioslave to kde[base|network] ?

Albert Astals Cid tsdgeos at terra.es
Fri Mar 5 23:16:49 GMT 2004

Answering several messages in one. Sorry for not answering to the thread but i
haven't received the answers.

Kulow: who needs a gopher slave in this millennium?

Maybe this one:

>Hi Albert,
>
>yesterday I had to determine, to my very surprise, that Konqueror does not
>support the Gopher protokol!
>But just as I digged thru RFC 1436 I got my daily Freshmeat ... ;-)
>
>Thank's for your work and your excellent timing!
>
>I got kio_gopher to work flawlessly (but I must admit: I did not test it very
>thorough) with KDE-3.1.2 & Qt-3.1.1, compiled with GCC 2.95.3."

or this one

>When I tried to make the package on my mepis (debian) system i recieved the
>following error:
>
>kio_gopher.cpp: In function `int kdemain(int, char**)':
>kio_gopher.cpp:30: error: `exit' undeclared (first use this function)
>kio_gopher.cpp:30: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
>for
>   each function it appears in.)
>make[2]: *** [kio_gopher.lo] Error 1
>make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>make: *** [all] Error 2
>
>Any clue as to why its doing that? I find it odd that kde does not come with
>something like your kio-slave as standard. While I am always hearing how dead
>gopher is, I still use it at least weekly. Nice to know that someone out
>there picked up the ball."

Note the part that says "I find it odd that kde does not come with something
like your kio-slave as standard. While I am always hearing how dead
gopher is, I still use it at least weekly." (i answered him with the patch to
sort this and released a new version with it)(The patch was from David Faure
as you can see at
http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdenonbeta/gopher_kioslave/kio_gopher.cpp?rev=1.24&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup)

Neundorf: What can I actually do with a gopher ioslave ?

You can browse sites like gopher://gopherproject.org,
gopher://gopher.floodgap.com or some of the servers listed at
gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/1/world

Having access to things like
Linux 1.0 source gopher://gopher.quux.org/9/Software/Operating
Systems/Unix/Linux/linux-1.0.tar.bz2
or
Quick access (no images to slow you down) to andorra information in the CIA
Factbook
gopher://gopher.quux.org/0/Archives/mirrors/textfiles.com/politics/CIA/andorra.txt

Also another reason is that Mozilla has support for it and i don't know why
Mozilla should support more protocols than Konqueror.

So let's sum up reasons:

Pros:
	- There are some geeks out there that use it and we may attract them to kde
and konqueror
	- Konqueror will support other protocol
	- It is maintained (although there's not much to maintain as it is quite
short in code)
	- Does not interfere with Konqueror or anything else because of ioslave
nature

Cons:
	- It may not be widely used
	- It adds 10 k (uncompressed) to chosen module tarball

Albert