open tasks, jobs, unmaintained stuff, etc.

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Fri Mar 5 21:43:17 GMT 2004

On Friday 05 March 2004 16:19, Germain Garand wrote:
> aren't you providing a very tempting way for application programmers
> to totally neglect the careful crafting of option dialogs?
>
> While we are drawing horses analogies, I'll mention the greek, wooden
> one :-)

heh, well again, it's the question of whether you trust the maintainers.
I think you're assuming that people will say "it's more convienent to
start another application and edit options for my application in there,
rather then having to add a checkbox to my dialog" which I'm pretty
sure will never happen.

> >  If you want to
> > have dialog with 5000 options, that's your choice and you're free
> > to go that route. And it's not like having kcfg files would force
> > you to be removing options from your application. These two aren't
> > mutually exclusive but completment each other.
>
> and how will you know beforehand if the option you want is to be
> found via the application's settings, advanced settings, or via
> kregedit alone?
>
> duh, you won't.
> So you'll end up firing the most common denominator,
> whether you like it or not...

Then you're acting against your application. If people will be too lazy
to add the right options to their application then no one will be using
those apps and others will replace them.

Zack

--
I don't mind Jesus, it's his fan club I can't stand.