open tasks, jobs, unmaintained stuff, etc.

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Fri Mar 5 17:18:25 GMT 2004

On Friday 05 March 2004 11:42, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the kde quality project of Carlos seems to have a good start and a
> lot of new people are appearing there looking for work :-)
>
> So, if of you are reading this, and you know about some concrete not
> too big tasks, a small more or less unmaintained piece of software in
> kde or something similar, please let us know.
> Either mail to the kde-quality mailing list, or let me or Carlos
> <carloswoelz at imap-mail.com> know about it

What we badly (badly) need and what would be trivial to do is have some
people create kcfg files for applications in our CVS. No programming
knowledge is necessary for this task.

Here's what to do:
1) Check out kdenonbeta/kconfedit and compile it and install. Run
"kcfgcreator <name of the application for which you want to create kcfg
file>".
2) You'll see a treeview on your left with all the configuration options
for the given application (application has to have an already installed
rc file for this to work). Now go through as many options as you can
and start adding Label and Whats this entries to them.
3) Once you're done save the file and commit it.

Please note that the application itself doesn't need to actually use
kcfg files per-se. The thing is that we need documentation for the
configuration options in order to start retiring a lot of advanced
options which power users want but which confuse the hell out of normal
users. If we have kcfg files with actual documentation then
kconfigeditor will display all the documentation necessary to edit
options. So even if applications won't be using the kcfg files we will
profit immensely from having them installed.

Some applications already do have kcfg files but even in those label and
whatsthis entries are severely lacking, so just load those up in
kcfgcreator and start adding them.

Whoever adds the most will get the honorary title of  "the KDE
Configuration Tamer" and will be allowed to share a bag of cookies with
me on our next conference.

Zack

--
Winners compare their achievements to their goals,
losers compare theirs to that of others.